Legal and Compliance Director, Middle East, Turkey and Africa
Dubai UAE, Middle East, Turkey, and Africa
Acino is a Swiss pharmaceutical company, leader in advanced drug delivery technologies. We have a clear focus on selected emerging markets in the Middle East, Africa, the CIS Region and Latin America, and operate in some of the most dynamic countries of the world. We value courage, commitment, trust and empathy and provide an environment that supports initiative and effort. We are proud to be action-oriented and open-minded, with a strong focus on quality and product availability, even in remote and hard to reach areas of the world.
This position is based in Dubai, UAE and will report to the General Manager, Middle East, Turkey & Africa (META) and functionally report to the Global Head of Legal and Compliance. This role will be responsible on Legal – Advise the META organization on all matters of law relevant to the conduct of an international pharmaceutical business in META including, without limitation, advice on corporate and commercial matters, pharmaceutical industry specific laws and regulations, and legal support to all functions. Compliance – Ensure the development, implementation, management and continuous improvement of an effective META wide compliance program on the basis of the Acino Group Corporate Compliance Program (in addition to any local META policies in force at any given time).
Your Responsibilities will be :
- Support and advise in the day to day business operations in the region including proactive legal advise in all areas of law and regulation, with prioritization on goals and objectives.
- Assistance on creating new legal entities or representative/technical scientific offices in META as appropriate.
- Establishment and management of legal support for any newly established entities, including creation of relevant templates, forms and processes in cooperation with local Legal & Compliance Manager.
- Legal support to META business development projects, such as acquisitions and in-licensing of products.
- Drafting commercial agreements, including without limitation, distribution agreements, promotional services agreements, manufacture and supply agreements, market research agreements and regulatory services agreements.
- Acting as META corporate secretary (where applicable), keeping corporate files and administering resolutions of local organs, maintenance of commercial register entries for all legal entities in the META region and related cooperation with the HQ legal and finance functions including maintaining database for contracts and corporate documentations.
- Develop and maintain relevant contract templates and legal guidelines as well as manage legal affairs relating to third party distributors, with particular regards to the various existing and future organizational models.
- Leading and managing external counsel as well as mitigating legal risks. Coordinating risk management in META and reporting to RISK Committee. Monitor, anticipate and report changes to the applicable legislation that are of direct or indirect interest of the organization and where needed act as a data protection officer and/or oversee all data protection related matters
- Providing or procuring local law advice required for the implementation of the Corporate and Regional Compliance Program in META.
- Develop and implement regional compliance program (including roll-out of corporate policies and development/update of specific regional/local compliance policies) in cooperation with local Legal & Compliance Managers and headquarter compliance function.
- Drive the right compliance mindset, pro-actively monitor compliance of the META organization with the compliance program (incl. assistance with audits) as well as manage and mitigate compliance risks
- Assure Third Party Intermediary Compliance (Due diligence, annual certification, audits, etc.) with adequate compliance controls in place as well as advise HQ compliance on law and industry requirement in META
- Train employees on applicable compliance Policies and SOPs as applicable to their roles, using a local training matrix of “policies vs. departments”, archiving and tracking auditable training records. Create / maintain a compliance and integrity mindset within the META organization.
- Ensure effective reporting lines for compliance issues within the META organization to the HQ compliance organization, including the management and follow up of cases reported via the hotline system as well as management of META Compliance Committee.
- Conduct investigations of compliance incidents and addressing incidents of non-compliant behavior in cooperation with local management and HQ compliance function. Coordinate with HR / other relevant functions on necessary disciplinary and other corrective actions.
- Work to the highest levels of integrity and compliance, adhering to Acino Standards of Business Conduct and Ethics at all times.
- Legal degree from a reputable university and preferably additional qualifications as a compliance professional. He/she needs to have solid experience working in the region for an international or reputable local business in the healthcare industry.
- At least ten years of professional working experience as an in-house counsel and compliance officer and/or working on relevant topics as an attorney with a reputable law firm.
- Broad and in-depth understanding of local and regional issues relative to the pharmaceutical industry. Legal knowledge on pharmaceutical industry related laws and regulations and experience in drafting and negotiating pharmaceutical industry specific contracts is needed.
- Senior level experience as a Compliance Officer is required with a proven track-record in the implementation, development and management of an international level compliance program in a sizeable organization, including solid experience in conducting relevant monitoring and audit activities including the investigation of compliance incidents.
- Be highly motivated, hard-working and possess a strong sense of responsibility and integrity. He/she must be able to function well under pressure and with a high workload. Must be able to partner successfully with local and HQ management while at the same time maintaining professional independence in providing legal and compliance related advice.
- Should be able to deal in a successful manner with local authorities without compromising the integrity of the organization. Ability to “flex” across different types of cultures, complexities, business situations and matrix partners.
- Travel is required in this role within the region.
- Excellent command of English and Arabic language (French a plus). Solid English language contract drafting skills. Effective communication and presentation skills with the ability to create energy and excitement.
Please submit your direct application via this LINK
If you are interested in working for a company that offers such challenging opportunities, we invite you to send your application along with all pertinent documents – preferably via e-mail in one PDF document to the following email address:
We are looking forward to hearing from you. Only direct applications are considered.Job list